NTEU 245 Bylaws EXCERPTS FROM PART VII
Duties of Chapter Officers and Executive Board Member
Section 2. Term of Office for Officers
The term of office for all Chapter 245 officers shall be three years.
Section 4. Duties of Officers
(A) The President’s duties shall be:
- to perform as administrator of the affairs of Chapter 245 in accordance with the provisions of the National Constitution and the Chapter’s bylaws.
- to issue proper notice calling meetings of the Chapter and the Executive Board pursuant to Part V, Section 2 and Part VI, Section 4(A) respectively.
- to preside as chairperson at all regular and special meetings of the Chapter and the Executive Board.
- to appoint chairpersons of all committees.
- to give notice of dates and places of meetings of the Chapter or Executive Board as outlined in Part V. Sections 2 & 3 of these Bylaws.
- to appoint all committee members subject to approval of the Executive Board and serve as ex officio member of each committee.
- to represent and act as spokesperson for the Chapter in all matters.
- to sign all documents pertaining to official business of the Chapter.
- to perform all other duties as are necessary to protect and advance the interests of the membership.
(B) The Vice President’s duties shall be:
- to perform the duties of the President during the President’s absence or inability to serve.
- to serve as an assistant to the President.
- to serve as Chairperson of the membership committee.
- to develop the Chapter’s publicity projects as directed by the President.
(C) The duties of the Secretary shall be:
- to record and keep minutes on all meetings of the Chapter and Executive Board.
- to conduct such correspondence as may be necessary or as the President shall direct, and maintain copies of such correspondence in a permanent file.
- to aid the Election Committee in preparing ballots for officer elections and to inform the members of the results of such elections.
- to distribute literature, copies of documents and other communications to the Chapter
(D) The Treasurer’s duties shall be:
- to maintain a correct and current record of the membership with the name, address and dues status of each member.
- to receive and deposit all funds of the Chapter in a depository approved by the Executive Board.
- to make payments from funds as authorized by the President for amounts less than $50.
- to make payments from funds authorized by the Executive Board for amounts in excess of $50.
- to remit to the National Headquarters office in accordance with Part 1, Section 1(c) of the National Bylaws.
- to read current reports of the financial status of the Chapter at Chapter meetings.
- to submit the Chapter books and accounts for audit ondemand of the Executive Board or an authorized government agency.
- to furnish a surety bond to the Chapter, the premium of such bond to be paid by the Chapter as per Part V, Section 3 of the National Bylaws.
- to prepare and file Internal Revenue Form 99 and Department of Labor forms as are required by the U.S. Department of Labor and/or other Federal agencies.
- To keep an accurate record of all receipts and expenditures of the Chapter.
(E) In the absence of the President and Vice President, the chain of command shall be Secretary, then Treasurer
Section 5. Term of office for Executive Board members
The term of office for the five at-large Executive Board members shall be as follows:
- For the election held in November 2003 the three Executive Board Member positions that are open for election shall be for two-year terms.
- For the election held in November 2004 the two Executive Board positions that are open for election shall be for one-year terms. For the election held in November 2005 and thereafter the term of office for all Executive Board members shall be two years. Any vacancies in these positions will be filled by the Executive Board pursuant to Part VI, Section 2(B), until the next scheduled election. All Executive Board members shall assume their elected positions upon their election.
Section 6. Duties of the Executive Board
All members of the Executive Board shall:
- attend meetings of the Executive Board and vote on all matters before the Board for consideration, and
- serve on committees as designated by the President and approved by a majority of the Executive Board.